Call for Papers: Undergraduate Symposium in Material Culture Studies: Futures?
The Design History Forum at Drexel University invites papers for its inaugural Undergraduate Symposium in Material Culture Studies (USMCS) to be held via Zoom on Saturday, March 12th, 2022. It invites students who have taken classes in art history, design history, fashion studies, museum studies, and related disciplines to submit abstracts for fifteen-minute presentations that imagine new directions for material culture studies, broadly considered.
It especially invites studies grounded in a specific object or set of objects that might expand or nuance our understanding of the following and/or their entanglements:
- Race / Color
- Ethnicity / Nationalism
- Gender / Sexuality
- Class / Privilege
- Colonization / Imperialism
- Virtual identities / Virtual worlds
- Exhibition history / Public history
- Political activism / Dissent
- Public health / Public safety
- Environmentalism / Ecological peril
To submit a proposal for a presentation, please email the following materials as a single pdf to Professor Joseph Larnerd at JHL73@drexel.edu by 11:59pm EST on Saturday, November 20th, 2021:
- Page #1: a cover page that includes your name, title of your proposed paper, university/college, as well as your academic major and year of study
- Page #2: a 200-word abstract that introduces your object(s), foregrounds your paper's thesis and/or central interpretation, and briefly explains how you intend to support it
Your proposal should be double spaced and in 12 pt. Times New Roman font. The document name and subject of your email should read as follows: "USMCS Proposal-Your Last Name."
Proposals will be reviewed by a panel of scholars active in the field of material culture studies who will also serve as session respondents. Authors of selected abstracts will be notified by December 11th. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to email Professor Larnerd. Funding for this event has been provided by the Decorative Arts Trust's Emerging Scholars Program.
Professor Joseph Larnerd, Drexel University, JHL73@drexel.edu
Contact Email: JHL73@drexel.edu
Τα νέα της εβδομάδας
Έκθεση βιβλίου στην κεντρική πλατεία Ηλιούπολης, για ακόμα μια χρονιά!
Αφιέρωμα στον Έλληνα δημιουργό, θεατρικό συγγραφέα, στιχουργό, σεναριογράφο, δημοσιογράφο και ακαδημαϊκό, στο πλαίσιο του Έτους Ι. Καμπανέλλη. Πόσοι γνωρίζουν το κινηματογραφικό έργο του Ιάκωβου Καμπανέλλη;